• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dustyt

What is the name of your state? Ms
Going through some bad times . My wife is asking for divorce my question is am I responsible for Credit cards I never used but have both our names on them ?

moburkes

What is the name of your state? Ms
Going through some bad times . My wife is asking for divorce my question is am I responsible for Credit cards I never used but have both our names on them ?
Yes and no. If you signed to be responsible for the bills, then yes. If you didn't, then no. However, you will need to split up the debts somehow. Maybe she will take responsibility for certain cards that she used, as long as she didn't buy things that benefitted the entire household. You can agree to take on other debts. But, in the end, if she doesn't pay the bills, and you are a co-borrower, they will hit your credit report.

So, make sure that all joint accounts get CLOSED.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">