• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vsdnts

my question is -
what are the chances of my husband getting annulment.he filed for annulment/divorce on 17th april this year.i came to US in october 2007 on fiance visa and got married to him in november.he was abusing me since then.i had to call police and went to shelter.he probably wants to take the ground of me being a fraud(married him with the intent of getting greencard)to get annulment.i loved him and we had got engaged feb 2007 in india.he had come back to US after that and filed for my K1 visa.we used to talk on phone and exchange emotional e mails.he is US citizen.i lived with him for five months basically.he was not charged guilty on criminal hearing against him.i have filed VAWA for myself.he knows that i do not want annulment so he is wanting to proceed with annulment to harrass me.
what are the chances he can get annulment?
how long i can get alimony from him?i am not earning.

LdiJ

my question is -
what are the chances of my husband getting annulment.he filed for annulment/divorce on 17th april this year.i came to US in october 2007 on fiance visa and got married to him in november.he was abusing me since then.i had to call police and went to shelter.he probably wants to take the ground of me being a fraud(married him with the intent of getting greencard)to get annulment.i loved him and we had got engaged feb 2007 in india.he had come back to US after that and filed for my K1 visa.we used to talk on phone and exchange emotional e mails.he is US citizen.i lived with him for five months basically.he was not charged guilty on criminal hearing against him.i have filed VAWA for myself.he knows that i do not want annulment so he is wanting to proceed with annulment to harrass me.
what are the chances he can get annulment?
how long i can get alimony from him?i am not earning.
I am truly sorry for the situation that you find yourself in, but there is very little chance that a court would award you any alimony because your marriage is so short. The court will expect you to return to India and so will the Department of Homeland Security.

As far as US law is concerned, an annulment or a divorce changes nothing for you. Its not very likely that he would be granted an annulment, but it won't change anything for you if he is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">