• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alexander diaz

Houston ,tx my wife abandon two weeks later i receive divorce papers saying that i have to stay in a house paying until the house has been sold once its sold they will only give me 5000 dollars but the house is under her dads name not mine not hers its a very expensive house she left the home and now she wants to obligate me to pay a house that will never be mine she has hired a lawyer but i have never agreed to nothing not even to a divorce she has decided this on her own she even wants me to pay for the insurance of the house and the taxes can she do this we have contract with her dad or anyone else

erivas796

Houston ,tx my wife abandon two weeks later i receive divorce papers saying that i have to stay in a house paying until the house has been sold once its sold they will only give me 5000 dollars but the house is under her dads name not mine not hers its a very expensive house she left the home and now she wants to obligate me to pay a house that will never be mine she has hired a lawyer but i have never agreed to nothing not even to a divorce she has decided this on her own she even wants me to pay for the insurance of the house and the taxes can she do this we have contract with her dad or anyone else
This is messy. You need to hire yourself a lawyer.
Is there a mortgage on this home? Or are you renting from father-inlaw?

mistoffolees

You need to see an attorney. However, in the simplest terms, if the house is in her father's name and you don't have a lease obligating you to pay rent, then there's probably no reason why you'd have to stay there. You could leave tomorrow but be sure to take your personal belongings because you might have a fight getting them back later. You probably can not take marital property out of the house.

OTOH, if you have no equity in the house (I'm not saying you don't, but it's possible) and they give you $5 K, that's $5 K more than you would be entitled to. Few (if any?) divorces take less than 6 months and some can take years. So you have to compare the cost of keeping up that house with the cost of whatever alternative housing you might find - and then add in the $5 K.

But, as I said, you need to see an attorney to discuss your rights. Forget whether you've agreed to a divorce. If she's set on a divorce, you're going to eventually be divorced whether you like it or not. So you need to focus on how you get out of it with the most fair settlement.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">