• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ivoneai

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I got married two years ago to a Brazilian who is not a citizen. We have gone through the process of getting his papers and his green card, but shortly after we got married, I found all sorts of things lies and eventually caught him cheating(tape recorder). We have been going through hell ever since because I have not been able to forgive him nor do I trust him. The house that we live in belongs to his mother, and I do not have money or any family I can go to. I want to know if it is possible for me to get a court order to be able to stay until I have enough money to pay for moving expenses and a place to stay, it will take a while, I have no money saved up andjust started a part-time job, because I could not find a full-time one of course, but this job only pays 7.00/ hr, we argue all the time and he tells me that he can kick me out any time he wants to. What can I do in this case? My credit cards are maxed out and I have to pay them off too, but they are mostly my expenses and my two kids expenses.

thank you

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

I got married two years ago to a Brazilian who is not a citizen. We have gone through the process of getting his papers and his green card, but shortly after we got married, I found all sorts of things lies and eventually caught him cheating(tape recorder). We have been going through hell ever since because I have not been able to forgive him nor do I trust him. The house that we live in belongs to his mother, and I do not have money or any family I can go to. I want to know if it is possible for me to get a court order to be able to stay until I have enough money to pay for moving expenses and a place to stay, it will take a while, I have no money saved up andjust started a part-time job, because I could not find a full-time one of course, but this job only pays 7.00/ hr, we argue all the time and he tells me that he can kick me out any time he wants to. What can I do in this case? My credit cards are maxed out and I have to pay them off too, but they are mostly my expenses and my two kids expenses.

thank you
He can't kick you out, although his mother will be able to once the divorce is final. You can stay until then.

You will need to get a court order to settle the temporary emergency support issue. But given that you've only been married 2 years, don't count on getting much - you need to find a full time job.

There is also the matter of his immigration status - he may not be able to stay in the US, but you'll need to post this on the immigration forum to be sure.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
He can't kick you out, although his mother will be able to once the divorce is final. You can stay until then.

You will need to get a court order to settle the temporary emergency support issue. But given that you've only been married 2 years, don't count on getting much - you need to find a full time job.

There is also the matter of his immigration status - he may not be able to stay in the US, but you'll need to post this on the immigration forum to be sure.
Actually she can only stay until the court rules otherwise which may be BEFORE the divorce is final.

ivoneai

Thank You both for your replies. Trying to find a full-time job.

I don't think he has to leave because he was in the states under the grandfather law don't know if after we get divorced it will still apply, but not worried about him having to leave I don't think that will happen his mother is a citizen, by marriage of course and she might be able to do something about that I am sure.

mistoffolees

I don't think he has to leave because he was in the states under the grandfather law don't know if after we get divorced it will still apply, but not worried about him having to leave I don't think that will happen his mother is a citizen, by marriage of course and she might be able to do something about that I am sure.
Who cares? You're divorcing him, what happens to him after that is his problem, not yours.

Don't get wrapped up in vindictive behavior "he cheated on me, so I'll get him deported". You focus on what involves you and let the system take care of the rest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">