• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

joyceprrsh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York I have been living apart from my husband for over 15 years I have not gotten a divorce ,but I want to get one. I left because of his abuse and drinking We have 3 children together which are all 18 and over now. My question is how much would a divorce cost and would I be entitled to any of his retirement since he is about to retire.Also the 3 children have lived with me the entire time.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York I have been living apart from my husband for over 15 years I have not gotten a divorce because I cannot afford one . My questin is if I do go ahead and get a divorce would I be entiled to any spousal support or any of his retirement because he is about to retire?
HOW have you survived the last fifteen years?

BL

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York I have been living apart from my husband for over 15 years I have not gotten a divorce because I cannot afford one . My questin is if I do go ahead and get a divorce would I be entiled to any spousal support or any of his retirement because he is about to retire?
Well you can look into an uncontested divorce packet and do it yourself , depending on your circumstances .

If you're a poor person , the filing fees can be waved .

Note: This is not an easy task , I know from experience the frustration of getting the forms filed .

Why do you feel you're entitled to spousal support ?

Who left the marital residence ?

LdiJ

You may be entitled to a portion of his retirement, but spousal support would be unlikely since you have been supporting yourself for over 15 years.

You would also be entitled to draw social security against his credits, if that would give you a higher benefit than your own.

Silverplum

You may be entitled to a portion of his retirement, but spousal support would be unlikely since you have been supporting yourself for over 15 years.

You would also be entitled to draw social security against his credits, if that would give you a higher benefit than your own.
That's IF he hasn't divorced her years ago.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">