• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

crystalms01

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CALIFORNIA

Hi,

I have been married for 6 years now being a housewife, and I'm wanting a divorce from my husband. We have no kids. My question is, will I be able to receive any spousal support, health benefits, pension? I'm also going to school which I'm paying through student loans. How will that affect him?

Thanks in advance,
CrystalMS01

LdiJ

Hi,

I have been married for 6 years now being a housewife, and I'm wanting a divorce from my husband. We have no kids. My question is, will I be able to receive any spousal support, health benefits, pension? I'm also going to school which I'm paying through student loans. How will that affect him?

Thanks in advance,
CrystalMS01
Spousal support is iffy because its a short term marriage, you might get some for a couple of years, but its certainly not guaranteed.

Health benefits will end when your marriage ends.

You would be entitled to 50% of whatever pension amounts accrued during the marraige, which again may not be much, considering how many people's pension funds have lost value recently.

Its time to get a full time job and go to school part time, or to up your students loans and at least work part time.

mistoffolees

Hi,

Thanks in advance,
CrystalMS01
In general, you're going to be entitled to half of marital assets which would include the amount of the pension which accrued during the marriage.

He will not be responsible for your student loans (nor should he be).

In most states, you wouldn't have a chance of spousal support after 6 years, but in CA, you might get a couple of years. It will depend on your relative incomes, among other things.

crystalms01

Great thank you for the help. Im glad that he will not be responsible for my loans. I agree with you that he shouldn't be. Thank you again.

CrystalMS01

crystalms01

So I'm glad to hear that I'm doing the right thing now. I am enrolled in school part time for Massage therapy and am currently looking for a full time or two part time jobs. Thank you again.

CrystalMS01

mistoffolees

Spousal support is iffy because its a short term marriage, you might get some for a couple of years, but its certainly not guaranteed.
Look at the state. In California, there is a statutory presumption that Spousal support will apply for 1/2 the length of the marriage for marriages under 10 years, so it really depends on relative incomes. Since OP is a full time student, there's actually a pretty good chance of it.

Spousal Support

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">