• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pam1357

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? VA

Can my husband throw me out and change the locks all in the same week. My name is not on the deed. He is an alchoholic and mentally and verbally abuses me. I left because I was scared; things were getting bad.

mistoffolees

Can my husband throw me out and change the locks all in the same week. My name is not on the deed. He is an alchoholic and mentally and verbally abuses me. I left because I was scared; things were getting bad.
No, he can't. It is the marital residence regardless of whose name is on the deed.

Please search this site for the 1000 other times this question has been asked to get more information.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

As Misty said, no he can't. More importantly, though, why would you want to stay with him if he scares you? You say you left but you also said he throw you out. Which is it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">