• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shaba

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California. I've posted here before on behalf of my brother. I'd like to get some advice. He has an attorney but it doesn't seem like she is really doing a good job for him. The situation is he they lived together for 10 years and were married the last 2. They have a daughter who is now 9. He and his ex have joint custody with 50/50 time. They have been legally separated for almost 3 years waiting for the divorce process. The problem is the ex (through her attorney) fights every offer he makes or else just does not respond. At the beginning of the battle the home they owned was worth $400K +. Splitting the equity, they were both entitled to $80K. After 6 months she refused that offer saying she wanted more. During this time the property values started to drop so the next offer was much less. Again, it was 8 - 10 months before she refused that offer. The next offer was for half of the equity the lower property value. Again she refused saying she wanted more. The property values have continued to drop and the property is barely worth the $230K that was originally paid for it 5 years ago. The last offer my brother made was for about $30K which was half the equity 4 months ago. She has never responded other than her attorney has said she got the paperwork. He is wondering if he should lower his offer again since the property has gone down even more. Two properties within the same complex, same floor plan and better condition just sold for $205K and $210K respectively. I told him he should lower his offer again since she has not responded. Isn't there a time limit on these things? Doesn't she have to respond in a timely manner? It's crazy that this has gone on so long.

mistoffolees

There is no time limit.

However, the policy here is that the person involved should be posting. You can't expect good advice based on your second hand information.

Have your brother here post the relevant facts and his question. And no need to ramble on about how unjust the world is. That has no bearing on the legal issues.

Shaba

There is no time limit.

However, the policy here is that the person involved should be posting. You can't expect good advice based on your second hand information.

Have your brother here post the relevant facts and his question. And no need to ramble on about how unjust the world is. That has no bearing on the legal issues.
Sorry, didn't realize I was rambling. I was just trying to help my brother out.

LdiJ

There is no time limit.

Actually Misto, that's not the board policy. Its the policy of a small number of board members.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California. I've posted here before on behalf of my brother. I'd like to get some advice. He has an attorney but it doesn't seem like she is really doing a good job for him. The situation is he they lived together for 10 years and were married the last 2. They have a daughter who is now 9. He and his ex have joint custody with 50/50 time. They have been legally separated for almost 3 years waiting for the divorce process. The problem is the ex (through her attorney) fights every offer he makes or else just does not respond. At the beginning of the battle the home they owned was worth $400K +. Splitting the equity, they were both entitled to $80K. After 6 months she refused that offer saying she wanted more. During this time the property values started to drop so the next offer was much less. Again, it was 8 - 10 months before she refused that offer. The next offer was for half of the equity the lower property value. Again she refused saying she wanted more. The property values have continued to drop and the property is barely worth the $230K that was originally paid for it 5 years ago. The last offer my brother made was for about $30K which was half the equity 4 months ago. She has never responded other than her attorney has said she got the paperwork. He is wondering if he should lower his offer again since the property has gone down even more. Two properties within the same complex, same floor plan and better condition just sold for $205K and $210K respectively. I told him he should lower his offer again since she has not responded. Isn't there a time limit on these things? Doesn't she have to respond in a timely manner? It's crazy that this has gone on so long.
As Misto stated, there is no time limit, but his attorney really should have forced the issue in front of the judge a long time ago. That should have happened the moment she didn't agree to a 50/50 split of the equity, the first time around.

Most likely he needs to at least be consulting with some other attorneys.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">