• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Angela.C

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nevada
Okay so i am going to file for a divorce from my husband he has been haveing a relationship with this Girl for over a year now. I need to know what the terms are for getting alamony? If that is anything i could ask for? My fear is that he is going to start to sale the things that we did get together and i wont see a dime of any of that money.Is there anything i can do?:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Just Blue

Okay so i am going to file for a divorce from my husband he has been haveing a relationship with this Girl for over a year now. I need to know what the terms are for getting alamony? If that is anything i could ask for? My fear is that he is going to start to sale the things that we did get together and i wont see a dime of any of that money.Is there anything i can do?:confused:What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
How long have you been married? Did you work? If not, why? Are there minor children?

File for divorce/separation with a RO barring the sale ro removal of marital assets from the marital home.

Angela.C

We was only married for 4 years,But we have been living together for 11 years. Yes i did work and we have no children

Proserpina

We was only married for 4 years,But we have been living together for 11 years. Yes i did work and we have no children
It's going to be incredibly unlikely to get alimony for a short marriage of 4 years (the living together doesn't count).

mistoffolees

It's going to be incredibly unlikely to get alimony for a short marriage of 4 years (the living together doesn't count).
A couple of exceptions:

1. Some type of temporary support while the divorce is pending may certainly be possible if OP is otherwise eligible.

2. If, for example, she put him through medical school or supported him while he got advanced education, some alimony could also be awarded. Background here:

Preventive Family Law for Nevada: Alimony

Proserpina

A couple of exceptions:

1. Some type of temporary support while the divorce is pending may certainly be possible if OP is otherwise eligible.

2. If, for example, she put him through medical school or supported him while he got advanced education, some alimony could also be awarded. Background here:

Preventive Family Law for Nevada: Alimony

(excuse my splitting hairs :p)

Well... I did say "unlikely"...but you're right, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the knowledge!

mistoffolees

(excuse my splitting hairs :p)

Well... I did say "unlikely"...but you're right, I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for the knowledge!
I considered the first comment (temporary support while the divorce was pending) to be the greater possibility.

There are many other factors that need to be considered, as well. What if their 11 years of living together was in TX and they filed joint income tax returns, etc? They would now have a long term marriage (NV isn't a common law state, but does recognize common law marriages from other states) and alimony becomes more possible.

It's hard to give a definitive answer to a very short post.

Proserpina

I considered the first comment (temporary support while the divorce was pending) to be the greater possibility.

There are many other factors that need to be considered, as well. What if their 11 years of living together was in TX and they filed joint income tax returns, etc? They would now have a long term marriage (NV isn't a common law state, but does recognize common law marriages from other states) and alimony becomes more possible.

It's hard to give a definitive answer to a very short post.
Surely if you have a legal common-law marriage you can't become legally married to the same man again?

:confused:

LdiJ

Surely if you have a legal common-law marriage you can't become legally married to the same man again?

:confused:
Sure you can...you can have a common law marriage (in states that allow that) and then get a formal marriage at some point.

There are even a handful of states that have something called a "covenant marriage" where its next to impossible to get a divorce. Few people enter into covenant marriages in those states, but those that do, can only get divorces in extreme/fault circumstances.

Proserpina

Sure you can...you can have a common law marriage (in states that allow that) and then get a formal marriage at some point.

There are even a handful of states that have something called a "covenant marriage" where its next to impossible to get a divorce. Few people enter into covenant marriages in those states, but those that do, can only get divorces in extreme/fault circumstances.
Though it does sound somewhat odd, I see what you're saying. (I learn stuff everyday here - ain't it grand?! :D)

Bali Hai

An alimony loving judge can order alimony under any circumstances that they conjure up.

You don't deserve alimony if you can't even spell it, and furthermore, you don't deserve it anyway.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">