• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tkchanf1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

My wife has filed for divorce on the grounds of adultury. Her lawyer has managed to get me terminated from my employment (I am a 1099 independent contractor and my contract would have been renewed if it wasn't for this). I do have a girlfriend and have admitted all my wrong doings. I cannot afford an attorney. My question is this: her lawyer has subpoena'd my girlfriend and her husband (ex to be) in Virginia (I reside in Alabama), does she have to appear in court and honor the subpoena in Alabama? what ramifications does she face if she doesn't show up? This is going to cost her and her husband to appear.

Last edited:

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama

My wife has filed for divorce on the grounds of adultury. Her lawyer has managed to get me terminated from my employment (I am a 1099 independent contractor and my contract would have been renewed if it wasn't for this). I do have a girlfriend and have admitted all my wrong doings. I cannot afford an attorney. My question is this: her lawyer has subpoena'd my girlfriend and her husband (ex to be) in Virginia (I reside in Alabama), does she have to appear in court and honor the subpoena in Alabama? what ramifications does she face if she doesn't show up? This is going to cost her and her husband to appear.
Oh good lord let me make sure I have this right...

You are married - you're in Alabama
Wife is in Alabama
Your girlfriend is married
She and her husband live in Virginia
Girlfriend has been subpoena'd to appear in Alabama.

Correct?

If she doesn't appear she can face contempt charges - it's an order, not an invitation to dinner. But quite honestly, that's the least of your worries - it appears that your wife can easily prove adultery which can have serious financial (if nothing else) ramifications for you.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">