• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cathyinky

I live in California. I was married to a Phillipino man in 1985. I was 20 and he was 32. He lied about everything including the fact that he had 2 children instead of 1 that he said he was not the biological father of. We were together for about 1 year. He ran all my credit cards up, got a very high interest signature loan and then after we were separted he got a credit card using my name without my knowledge. He was abusive and often threatened mine and my families lives. When I got up the guts to divorce him he signed papers saying he would pay the credit card bills, but he fought the divorce without my knowledge (he was friends with the lawyer) and it didn't go through at that time then he disappeared and I didn't know where he was at. I found out he used me to get his green card. I recently found out that he is in Cypress, CA and is with his exwife and 2 kids from the Phillipines. He ruined my life. He ruined my credit and I had to pay thousands of dollars that he should have paid and then when I was unable to pay I had to file bankrupsty. Is there any way I can force him to pay me the money back? Also, he does not deserve to live in the USA. He's a thief and a liar and used me to get into this country. Can I do anything at this late date?

Thank you

Last edited:

Proserpina

I live in California. I was married to a Phillipino man in 1985. I was 20 and he was 32. He lied about everything including the fact that he had 2 children instead of 1 that he said he was not the biological father of. We were together for about 1 year. He ran all my credit cards up, got a very high interest signature loan and then after we were separted he got a credit card using my name without my knowledge. He was abusive and often threatened mine and my families lives. When I got up the guts to divorce him he signed papers saying he would pay the credit card bills, but he fought the divorce without my knowledge (he was friends with the lawyer) and it didn't go through at that time then he disappeared and I didn't know where he was at. I found out he used me to get his green card.

I recently found out that he is in Cypress, CA and is with his exwife and 2 kids from the Phillipines. He ruined my life. He ruined my credit and I had to pay thousands of dollars that he should have paid and then when I was unable to pay I had to file bankrupsty. Is there any way I can force him to pay me the money back? Also, he does not deserve to live in the USA. He's a thief and a liar and used me to get into this country. Can I do anything at this late date?

Thank you,

Catherine Morrison
1. You can't decide who is deserving and who isn't deserving of residency.
2. It's been over 20 years.....the SOL for everything ended long, long ago.

If the decree did not order him to pay those bills you'd be out of luck anyway. Move on with your life.

(out of curiosity why has it taken you over 20 years to do something about this?)

cathyinky

I was told he went back to the Phillipines. I just found out he didn't.

1. You can't decide who is deserving and who isn't deserving of residency.
2. It's been over 20 years.....the SOL for everything ended long, long ago.

If the decree did not order him to pay those bills you'd be out of luck anyway. Move on with your life.

(out of curiosity why has it taken you over 20 years to do something about this?)

Proserpina

I was told he went back to the Phillipines. I just found out he didn't.
Sorry, I don't have anything more positive; it's far too late to allege marital fraud (with Immigration) and the decree didn't order him to pay the bills in the first place.

(even if the decree did provide for that it would be impossible to sue at this point - as mentioned earlier the statute of limitations passed by long ago)

Hisbabygirl77

well you learned a good life lesson but its been twenty years I agree with previous poster you cant legally do anything and you really need to move on. To still be so bitter after twenty years is only hurting you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">