• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jackilee67

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? north carolina

i have a question regarding divorce. I have been married a year and we have a 9 month old baby. My husband has never put anything in our name together. We are now talking divorce since he doesnt view me as a wife anymore. What are my rights regarding the house car etc. Do i get to stay in the home and raise the baby or do I have to get out? What are my rights since he has shared nothing with me?

LdiJ

i have a question regarding divorce. I have been married a year and we have a 9 month old baby. My husband has never put anything in our name together. We are now talking divorce since he doesnt view me as a wife anymore. What are my rights regarding the house car etc. Do i get to stay in the home and raise the baby or do I have to get out? What are my rights since he has shared nothing with me?
Your rights are the same whether he has or hasn't shared anything with you. You are entitled to 1/2 of the marital assets that accrued during the marriage (unlikely to be much of anything at all) and responsible for 1/2 of the marital debts that accrued during the marriage.

Most likely you will need to eventually move out. If you get primary custody of the baby then you will get child support.

chelsi

He definitely has an obligation to support your child until age 21 (check N.C. family law). Each county has a child support enforcement bureau. Go there and file an application for child support services to make sure he pays child and medical support for your child. Hope this helps. :)

kimberlywrites

What do you mean by that...? It could be important in determining your rights.

Golfball

In order to get a divorce in NC, one party needs to move out (separate addresses!), and the two parties must live separate and apart for at least one year before divorce can be filed. (Who moves out is immaterial, though.)

You've only been married a year, so presumably you have very little joint assets and liability, whether or not you are on the deed/title. (You are entitled to something, but depending on the assets, it may not be worth seriously going after them.)

nextwife

You are each entitled to keep your non comingled assets that you brought to the marriage. You are each entitled to half the debts and half the assets that accrued during the marriage. You are each entitled to file for custody and/or a parenting time schedule.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">