• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

EugeneThomas68

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLORIDA
I live in Broward County-Florida. I've been married for 8 years with a woman (who was not a US citizen). Due to our marriage, she is a US citizen now. She never worked a day during our marriage, I provided everything for all this time. Last summer she got cancer and she went back to Europe to be treated. I paid eveything: tens of thousands of dollars treatment, airline tickets, help for her family and so on. She came back now, the doctors said she is fine to travel and she took 2 mo. break from chimo. She'll go back after 2 mo, for a few more months of preventive treatment as the doctors say they eradicated the cancer.
She always had a horrible strong demanding personality, looked down on me, etc, and now she's even worst. I want to file papers for divorce now, we have more debts than assets. My question is: Can she hold me responsible for anything in the future (I paid eveything in the past),after the divorce any further treatments, medication and so on, only because she had cancer?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? FLORIDA
I live in Broward County-Florida. I've been married for 8 years with a woman (who was not a US citizen). Due to our marriage, she is a US citizen now. She never worked a day during our marriage, I provided everything for all this time. Last summer she got cancer and she went back to Europe to be treated. I paid eveything: tens of thousands of dollars treatment, airline tickets, help for her family and so on. She came back now, the doctors said she is fine to travel and she took 2 mo. break from chimo. She'll go back after 2 mo, for a few more months of preventive treatment as the doctors say they eradicated the cancer.
She always had a horrible strong demanding personality, looked down on me, etc, and now she's even worst. I want to file papers for divorce now, we have more debts than assets. My question is: Can she hold me responsible for anything in the future (I paid eveything in the past),after the divorce any further treatments, medication and so on, only because she had cancer?
You could possibly be held responsible until this current bout with cancer is completely dealt with. However, you certainly cannot be held responsible for any future medical issues with her.

mistoffolees

You could possibly be held responsible until this current bout with cancer is completely dealt with. However, you certainly cannot be held responsible for any future medical issues with her.
No medical obligations, but if she is found to be disabled and unable to work, spousal support might come into play. In addition, he may have sponsored her for citizenship - in which case he'd have some responsibility to support her.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">