• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wittykitty1121

If I left my husband because he had an affair and we no longer Love each other...can we get a quick divorce if we have been separated for under a year and we both agree to the terms of the Divorce? We have no assets to claim. We both live in Maryland.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If I left my husband because he had an affair and we no longer Love each other...can we get a quick divorce if we have been separated for under a year and we both agree to the terms of the Divorce? We have no assets to claim.
What US state?

latigo

If I left my husband because he had an affair and we no longer Love each other...can we get a quick divorce if we have been separated for under a year and we both agree to the terms of the Divorce? We have no assets to claim. We both live in Maryland.
Yes, you can obtain your divorce in Maryland provided you have established your residency in that state for no less than 6 months to the date of the petition. But I can't say how quickly. Few courts operate on that principle.

Also no specific allegations of fault or evidence thereof is necessary. All that is needed is for you to convince the family court that "there is no reasonable expectation of reconciliation".(Maryland Code Section 7-103 (2) (ii)

In other words, there would be no needed for you to charge him with the adultery. And I recommend that you do not. You can mention it in your testimony as the reason for the separation, but no need to make it a permanent public record.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">