• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce at 65

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

harnoldus

What is the name of your state? Arizona

I live in Surprise, AZ and I've been married for 3 years. We moved from CA to AZ in 2005. There have been red flags from day 1 regarding this marriage and I ignored all of them because I was afraid of losing him. I now realize that he's been controlling me to the point of verbal and emotional abuse and I want out. He even wanted his name on my IRA's, which is not possible. He talked me into putting his name as beneficiary on my IRA's (more control) which I now changed back to my kids. He also talked me into withdrawing money from my IRA to put into a safe deposit box in case one of us goes to a nursing home so the state couldn't take our money. I got charged penalty fees for that. I did get some of that money back. I'm now in counseling for being such a fool.

What I need to know is AZ law on splitting monies, etc. We both have trusts with our wills in it. When we bought the house 2 years ago, I contributed 35% and he contributed 65%. When the divorce goes through, is this what I would be entitled to 35% of the house, or do I have other rights? Also as a retiree, I only receive Social Security benefits of $937 and I must purchase my Medicare supplement plan and RX plan which is the process now. I will probably have to withdraw from my IRA to be able to survive, but that's not going to last forever because I don't have hundreds of thousands of dollars.

What I'm asking for is (as I mentioned before) what are my legal rights in this divorce?

is the name of your state?

Last edited:

JETX

What I need to know is AZ law on splitting monies, etc.
What I'm asking for is (as I mentioned before) what are my legal rights in this divorce?"
Best answered by a qualified Arizona family attorney. You will need one to proceed... so might as go talk to one now.

JETX

I already posted my case to an attorney. Could they help me further?
There are LOTS of issues that going into a divorce and distribution of assets. Far more than can be properly covered in a free online forum.
Get a good LOCAL attorney and talk with him/her. It only costs less than $100 for a consultation.

fairisfair

and for goodness sakes, if ***** is your real name, remove all identifying information from both your posts and your signon. That is really not wise.

Edited to remove posters personal information

Last edited:

fairisfair

actually, you can resubscribe as another signon, and if this is in fact your name, I would encourage you to do so. and to delete this thread.

Bali Hai

and for goodness sakes, if ***** is your real name, remove all identifying information from both your posts and your signon. That is really not wise.

Edited to remove posters personal information
Is this an FBI case? I mean who gives a crap??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">