• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

LarryMcnulty

I'm from New Jersey. My wife of 7 years are kinda separated and are headed to divorce. This is what she wanted. We both feel that we could be amicable about it and come to some kind of settlement. I've drawn up all papers, she and I have both had a consultation with a lawyer but we cannot come to terms. The problem and my question is simple, I currently pay for everything leaving me with nothing to live on. I need to come up with a settlement so I can get on with my life. She does not work and has not worked for 8 years and is avoiding working still. If my wife does not do anything to come to terms, what should I do? I can't make her work, nor can I make her see a lawyer or mediatior. Should I go to a lawyer and finalize the paper work and just let the lawyers take care of it? I believe we are so close with what I'm offering her, it will be a shame to spend 20k on legal fees.

G

Grandma B

Since your wife hasn't worked in several years, you will most likely be required to pay spousal support, but it should be only temporary, say a few years. That would give her time to find a job and get on her feet financially. She's a big girl and should be able to take care of herself.

You didn't mention children, but if you have them, you will also be required to pay child support until they are of legal age for your state.

By all means see an attorney. Since your wife isn't employed, you'll probably have to pay her attorney fees also, but the two of them together shouldn't equal anywhere near $20,000.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">