• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

Maylaur

My husband wants a divorce but I am having trouble finding out what it will involve for us. We were married in Washington state, but he now lives in South Carolina and I am in Kansas.
This was, by his definition, supposed to be for him to do some thinking. But he has already gotten a new girlfriend. He is constantly lying to me about it. I do not know how involved they are but I do know they are seeing each other.
There is a 5 year old girl involved, daughter to him, stepdaughter to me. She has been calling me mommy for more than a year now. Her birth mother died when she was 3.
I am very confused on what my rights are in this situation.

Maylour Divorce

Maylour--I'm not an attorney but my opinion is that you should RUN not walk to your nearest one--How long have you been married? Is he providing any type of support to you right now? Where is his child (your stepdaughter) living now-with him or with you? As far as the child, since you unfortunately are just the step-parent I really don't think you have any rights as far as custody or visitation--As far as the divorce--take the snake to the cleaners--in other words, find yourself a cut-throat divorce attorney and look to get the house, alimony, part of his pension plan, make sure he provides you with medical coverage (at least for 3 years untill you get on your feet) or if you can get it for longer go for it--See if you have any copies or know where you can get your hands on previous years income tax forms filed (so he can't lie about assets or income) Make sure you know were he is employed now so present salary can be verified--and if he is at this point sending you any type of personal check for support of any kind right now make a copy of the check so you know where his present checking account is--You need to know if he has any IRA's or 401K's or any place where he could be putting money right now -- Above all, get yourself a real good attorney and think with your HEAD not with your HEART--you must remember, no matter how fair he says he will be, when push comes to shove, he will not want to part with very much--I do believe it's a guy thing--No matter how fair YOU think he'll be, he won't--Trust me I speak from experience. Good Luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">