• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

HerDessert

I live in Columbus, Ohio. I have been married for 3 years. We seperated and have been living in different residences for 7 months. I asked for a divorce and he denied me. I have 4 children from a previous marriage, and the only thing we have in our name is a condo we have been paying on, in which the owner is now filing bankruptcy. We have always had seperate bank accounts. My husband owes several thousand in back taxes and did before we were married. I feel he denied me the divorce because he gets a tax break and what I would get in income tax goes towards what he owes. He does not give me any money or pay any of my bills. I want to file for divorce on irriconcilable differences. If I do..can he get anything from me?

Thank you for you help

D

dorenephilpot

Any property that was acquired during the marriage would be subject to being divided half to you and half to him.

Same with the marital debts.

His old taxes are HIS problem.

As far as your refund being seized to pay his debt, you can file an "injured spouse" claim with the IRS, which can mean that your part of the refund wouldn't be taken to pay his old debt.

Getting a divorce would also help solve this problem.

Best of luck to you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">