• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

needtoknow3

I'm in New York - I've been separated for the last 13+years, I don't know where he is and I would like to know do I need his signature on the divorce paper? Or can I file the paper myself? If I can file without his signature where can I get the form and what do I need to make it a final? :confused:

D

dorenephilpot

Yes, you can divorce someone whose whereabouts are unknown to you. You can do service by publication. Your state's statutes will detail the particulars on how that works.

You need to go to a good library and do a lot of research on do-it-yourself divorce first, though.

Then come back and we'll be happy to answer any specific questions you might have. OK?

Good luck to you!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">