• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce in absentia

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Veronica1228

What is the name of your state? Connecticut

I have a co-worker who would like to divorce her husband. They were married in 2000 and he abandoned her a couple days after the wedding. She has no idea where he is, and she doesn't have the money to hire a lawyer. Can anyone tell me how difficult it would be for her to get a DYI divorce for abandonment or something of that nature? I'm not even sure if I'm explaining this correctly, or if my question is too broad for the scope of this site. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.

Bali Hai

I have a co-worker who would like to divorce her husband. They were married in 2000 and he abandoned her a couple days after the wedding. She has no idea where he is, and she doesn't have the money to hire a lawyer. Can anyone tell me how difficult it would be for her to get a DYI divorce for abandonment or something of that nature? I'm not even sure if I'm explaining this correctly, or if my question is too broad for the scope of this site. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks.
Your question is too broad, we need more details. What is your relationship with this woman co-worker??

LdiJ

Thanks.
It is possible to divorce someone that cannot be located. However, the required steps and proceedures are generally a bit tricky, and its not something I would recommend attempting without an attorney.

She should consult with a couple of local attorneys. It may not be as expensive as she thinks.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">