• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

soblu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
Ok, I've been married 9 years, together 14. We have 3 children ages 12, 9 and 7. Husband lost his job at beginning of the year (fired by my dad, no less) and decided he was going to start his own business for computer repair. About a month ago he set everything up but has done nothing to get customers. Basically his life consists of sleeping until 3-4 pm then playing online computer games until 5-7 am. He doesn't do anything to help around the house or with the kids. They are pretty much left to their own devices while I am at work. I am the one who cooks, cleans, does laundry, takes kids to doctors & school, everything. And when I come home from work my children have to listen to him berate me because the house is dirty and I'm not being supportive enough (basically he wants me to do everything but actually fix the computers). I have a full-time 40+ hr/week job! Things have been bad for a long time and I have actually been contemplating divorce for a couple of years now. I want out of this relationship but cannot afford to move at this time and I know he won't leave. I'm scared to death that he will take the kids and go to his mother's (3 hrs. away) if I ask him for a divorce. I know I need to see an attorney but is there any way I can get him out of the house (rental - owned by my dad) in the meantime?

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas
Ok, I've been married 9 years, together 14. We have 3 children ages 12, 9 and 7. Husband lost his job at beginning of the year (fired by my dad, no less) and decided he was going to start his own business for computer repair. About a month ago he set everything up but has done nothing to get customers. Basically his life consists of sleeping until 3-4 pm then playing online computer games until 5-7 am. He doesn't do anything to help around the house or with the kids. They are pretty much left to their own devices while I am at work. I am the one who cooks, cleans, does laundry, takes kids to doctors & school, everything. And when I come home from work my children have to listen to him berate me because the house is dirty and I'm not being supportive enough (basically he wants me to do everything but actually fix the computers). I have a full-time 40+ hr/week job! Things have been bad for a long time and I have actually been contemplating divorce for a couple of years now. I want out of this relationship but cannot afford to move at this time and I know he won't leave. I'm scared to death that he will take the kids and go to his mother's (3 hrs. away) if I ask him for a divorce. I know I need to see an attorney but is there any way I can get him out of the house (rental - owned by my dad) in the meantime?
You can file for divorce and ask for temporary possession of the marital home and an injunction to prevent him from removing the children from the area. Don't ask him ahead of time, just file.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">