• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce after legal separation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sblack@14214

What is the name of your state? New York-My companion has been legally separted for over 10years and we would like to finalize it by him getting divorced. What is the simplist way to handle this process? How costly would it be? There is no rebuttal on his ex-wife's part to this.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state? New York-My companion has been legally separted for over 10years and we would like to finalize it by him getting divorced. What is the simplist way to handle this process? How costly would it be? There is no rebuttal on his ex-wife's part to this.
The simplest way is to get an attorney and have him file for divorce. If it is uncontested, it should go fairly painlessly and inexpensively, but there are often big surprises. I can't count how many times I've heard "we've agreed on everything and it will be uncontested" and then as soon as it gets down to brass tacks, all h*ll breaks loose.

Bali Hai

The simplest way is to get an attorney and have him file for divorce. If it is uncontested, it should go fairly painlessly and inexpensively, but there are often big surprises. I can't count how many times I've heard "we've agreed on everything and it will be uncontested" and then as soon as it gets down to brass tacks, all h*ll breaks loose.
Yeap, especially when her "eager beaver" lawyer gets involved!!

It really should be a no-brainer IF they are really legally separated in NYS.

But many people are just plain confused about what "legally separated" in NYS really means.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">