• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce after living apart over 6 years

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

moonstarz1

I live in CA; My husband and I have lived apart for over 6 years, and I have had full custody and responibility for our now-10-yr-old daughter from the very first. I live with a man I want to marry, who has for the last 6 yrs raised my daughter as his own. We are low-income, and I want to divorce my husband and get on with my life! How do I go about getting the figures I need to fill out the required child support form(s), and how do I get my husband's financial info and address, which I don't have now. (When he threatened my daughter's & my life 7 yrs ago, we left ASAP, and have had NOTHING to do with him financially, and we have NO property in common except the child. He will show up about once every month or so to take her for a day, and has had phsych. counselling, so I allow that, but he does not tell us about his work, if any, or where he lives, because he doesn't think he should pay child support and doesn't want me to file for divorce.). Can anyone help? P.S. I am not poor enough to qualify for free legal aid, and cannot afford a lawyer.

gphjr

Well

If you can't afford a lawyer then get a paralegal. if not then you will have to get a lawyer even though you can't afford one. How could you give your child to a man that you don't have an address for? Not to get into to much of your business but what if he does not come back. since you don't have a coustody order then Possesion is nine tenths of the law. Get a lawyer do lots of reading of your states statues and get busy. Only rich people can afford a divorce but if yu want one it may cost you. It's a minor setback to continue on a happy life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">