• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce Agreement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jrial

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My aunt was married to an abusive, manipulative person. He at one point convinced her she was crazy and she is still receiving treatment. However, she is not crazy.

She has a trust fund that she agreed under duress to sign away 50%. Now she is ill and can no longer work... She needs the money for herself and her adopted son. My aunt is a good person who got the shaft, so to speak.

Her ex husband is a bad person who now considers himself a man of god and has become a pastore. He uses them for a free living and her money for his toys and vacations.

She has recently sent me some of the paperwork to review. Is there any way to legally break this divorce agreement. Can she sue him for the mental anquish? Perhaps she could get him to sign off on the agreement. as a condition of the suit.

Pleas help! I will answer any questions I can... Thank you in advance/

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My aunt was married to an abusive, manipulative person. He at one point convinced her she was crazy and she is still receiving treatment. However, she is not crazy.

She has a trust fund that she agreed under duress to sign away 50%.
"Duress" has a legal definition.
For that matter, so does "abusive" and "crazy."
I doubt you are using these words in a legal sense. Considering this is a legal board (and a prep for court), you likely want to stop flinging words about, willy-nilly.

That said, define the "duress" situation, please.

jrial said:
Now she is ill and can no longer work... She needs the money for herself and her adopted son. My aunt is a good person who got the shaft, so to speak.

Her ex husband is a bad person who now considers himself a man of god and has become a pastore. He uses them for a free living and her money for his toys and vacations.
Likely all irrelevant.
Depends upon the "duress" thing, in good part.
jrial said:
She has recently sent me some of the paperwork to review. Is there any way to legally break this divorce agreement. Can she sue him for the mental anquish? Perhaps she could get him to sign off on the agreement. as a condition of the suit.

Pleas help! I will answer any questions I can... Thank you in advance/
Are you an attorney?
Why did she send the paperwork to you for review?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">