• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce in Alaska

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cadam

What is the name of your state? Alaska

My wife is demanding a divorce because I'm unable to deal with her Clinical Depression.

We have joint debt, a fair amount to be honest. We also have a house in another state that isn't selling, and not renting out either due to the horrible market there.

Most everything is in both our names. We have for the most part came up with a plan on dividing up our debt, even with me being slightly generous and taking some of the Consumer Credit (Best Buy and Home Depot Card). She's discussed signing the house over to me outright, and honestly I don't want it unless I move back there and need a place to live.

I was told that Alaska is a 50/50 state, she even mentioned this as well.

Now, she's done the math on how much it would cost for and after the Divorce. She now feels that I should pay more than 50% since I make more than her. When she expressed desire for this I sat down and crunched numbers for my budget, and yeah for hers as well. I went with both case scenerios, dealing with who would have custody).

Short of student loans (hers), everything was obtained during our 7 year marriage.

i guess the other thing I'm wondering... During a Divorce is the financial part of the divorce seperate from the child custody part? Does one affect the other?

I do have a lawyer I'm meetign with next week, but I'd like to have a better idea of things to ask. I won't ask about custody of our daughter, and reserve that for the proper forum.

Thanks

LdiJ

Yes, child custody issues and marital property issues are separate, with the exception that child support is financial. However child support comes out of current income, not marital assets.

It would probably be in both of your best interests to do whatever is necessary to get the home sold. Whatever proceeds you receive could retire some or all of the marital debt.

cadam

Unfortunately the house has been on the market for 6 months, and is just not selling. I've been provided with a job offer that could bring me back there. The house in all honesty isn't so much a point of contention between us, well yet. As there's not enough equity to make it a true asset.

I have another question. My wife has a job now, and only provide a fraction (2/3s) of her pay to the household bills, while 100% of mine is expected to cover expenses. I've asked for her to provide an equal percentage since we are still married. Initially she wanted us to go through debt counseling together, and pay off the debt prior to divorcing, in the mean time simply be seperate (meaning two rent checks, another vehicle, etc..). When she mentioned this I had to ask her "Why should I have to bust MY butt, and fork over all of MY pay when you won't do the same? And then afterwards you divorce not having paid your fair share?"

Bali Hai

Unfortunately the house has been on the market for 6 months, and is just not selling. I've been provided with a job offer that could bring me back there. The house in all honesty isn't so much a point of contention between us, well yet. As there's not enough equity to make it a true asset.

I have another question. My wife has a job now, and only provide a fraction (2/3s) of her pay to the household bills, while 100% of mine is expected to cover expenses. I've asked for her to provide an equal percentage since we are still married. Initially she wanted us to go through debt counseling together, and pay off the debt prior to divorcing, in the mean time simply be seperate (meaning two rent checks, another vehicle, etc..). When she mentioned this I had to ask her "Why should I have to bust MY butt, and fork over all of MY pay when you won't do the same? And then afterwards you divorce not having paid your fair share?"
Because that's the way it works. I suggest you don't display that attitude in front of the judge.

How long did you say you were married?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">