• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce - Alimony Possible After 38 Years ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Beachie88

Georgia

My mother is 62 if she divorces my father after 38 years of marriage can she expect alimony? Cna she file for divorce without a lwayer and get alimony?

tuffbrk

Not enough info to comment. You have not detailed the work history, relative health at this time, etc. Also, on this forum responses are typically provided to the party - not their family/relatives.

LdiJ

Georgia

My mother is 62 if she divorces my father after 38 years of marriage can she expect alimony? Cna she file for divorce without a lwayer and get alimony?
How old is your father? If he is also 62 or older, that could effect the answer.

Your mother is going to be entitled to 1/2 of the marital assets (and responsible for 1/2 of the marital debt). If they are both retired, and she gets half of whatever retirement assets are available, a judge might not order any alimony, even if alimony would normally be applicable. However, if your father is or would be receiving a non-divisible pension, then yes, its quite possible that alimony could be ordered. (it could be the same if the rolls are reversed as well).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">