• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce, Annulment, Family Law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JuliaYushkevich

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
Hello! I'd be grateful if you provided me information on divorce and a family law. I came to US 7 months ago on a fiance visa and got married. My husband is very abusive threatening me divorce and sending me back home. I told him that I wouldnt go home unless we get divorced here, in US but he says that he decides and not me. I know that I have the right to divorce here, in US. Please tell me how a procedure looks like and what documents do I need. Another issue, he makes me sign a spouse consent that I wouldnt get money from his bank accounts after his death. I refused to sign this document and he says that I dont have any right for his $. I told him that he could make a will to distribute his money and it wouldnt be a problem but he insists on it threatening divorce/sending me back home. Notice, he thinks that I have no rights to divorce here...I know that i do have the rights. Please, HELP. Thank you in advance. Julia

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Divorce him and ask for spousal support since he promised to be financially responsible for you for the first so many years until you got your permanent green card.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey
Hello! I'd be grateful if you provided me information on divorce and a family law. I came to US 7 months ago on a fiance visa and got married. My husband is very abusive threatening me divorce and sending me back home. I told him that I wouldnt go home unless we get divorced here, in US but he says that he decides and not me. I know that I have the right to divorce here, in US. Please tell me how a procedure looks like and what documents do I need. Another issue, he makes me sign a spouse consent that I wouldnt get money from his bank accounts after his death. I refused to sign this document and he says that I dont have any right for his $. I told him that he could make a will to distribute his money and it wouldnt be a problem but he insists on it threatening divorce/sending me back home. Notice, he thinks that I have no rights to divorce here...I know that i do have the rights. Please, HELP. Thank you in advance. Julia
You do not have to sign any document he gives you.

Yes, you can get a divorce in the US if you wish to do so. Its not just his decision or his right.

He also cannot send you back home against your will. However you may not be able to stay in the US if you get a divorce or separate from your husband.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">