• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce or Annulment? Very unusual situation.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

green_turtle

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jesey

I got married in Hawaii a month ago. We have been living together for over 6 years prior to that. When we got married i requested a last name change and put it on the marriage application. We are yet to receive our marriage license, state of HI will send it in about 2-3 months. I havent changed any of my personal documents, as i need a marriage license.

Three days ago we decided to get divorced. I know how stupid and childish it all sounds, we are not teenagers, we are both over 30. The husband started acting dramatically different all of a sudden, accusing me of horrible things, coming home at 3:00 am, disrespecting, arguing all the time. I informed him that i can not accept behaviour like this, and want an annulement or divorce.

How do i even start all this? What are the chances for annulement? Obviously i dont want a name change any more, am i stuck now? How soon can we have this dissolution happen? He said he will cooperate and sign everything - he agreed we made a mistake, and this should never have happened.

No children, no property together, no joint accounts.

Please help!

green_turtle

I'm still looking for the "very unusual" part. Has anyone else seen it?
I find it unusual that after living together for 6 years, getting married then, i am forced by his actions and behaviour to file for a divorce withing one month.

No grounds for annulment. Ok. How do i approach divorce idea? On what grounds? Thank you.

CourtClerk

I find it unusual that after living together for 6 years, getting married then, i am forced by his actions and behaviour to file for a divorce withing one month.
I find that since I work inside of a family law courtroom, your situation isn't unusual at all....

Silverplum

Not unusual.
green_turtle said:
No grounds for annulment. Ok. How do i approach divorce idea? On what grounds? Thank you.
http://law.findlaw.com/state-laws/divorce-legal-requirements/hawaii/

Silverplum

Thanks!

Do we have to get a divorce in HI? or in NJ? We both live in NJ....
Sorry, for some reason I got hung up on the HI thing. :eek: You divorce where you live, which for you is NJ.

http://family.findlaw.com/divorce/state-divorce-laws/new-jersey-divorce-law.html

and/or

http://www.divorcelawinfo.com/NJ/njdivexpln.htm

green_turtle

Guys,

Thanks, i got it that i have to file in NJ. Can i file already and on what grounds? I read all the info about NJ divorce. You need a ground for divorce, or be separated for 12 months and file on "differences". Do i have to stay married to the shmuck for another 11 months? There is no adultery, i do not know if cruel and unusual behaviour will be acceptable? No on is beating anybody, he is verbally very rude, comes home at 3 am, doesnt explain where he is or was....things of that nature. There is no communication between us, no support, no sex, no understanding. But i need to file on some sort of grounds. He is agreeing with this, so no need to get an attorney, i guess.

Please help.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Guys,

Thanks, i got it that i have to file in NJ. Can i file already and on what grounds? I read all the info about NJ divorce. You need a ground for divorce, or be separated for 12 months and file on "differences". Do i have to stay married to the shmuck for another 11 months? There is no adultery, i do not know if cruel and unusual behaviour will be acceptable? No on is beating anybody, he is verbally very rude, comes home at 3 am, doesnt explain where he is or was....things of that nature. There is no communication between us, no support, no sex, no understanding. But i need to file on some sort of grounds. He is agreeing with this, so no need to get an attorney, i guess.

Please help.
And this is different than it's been for the last 6 years?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Unfortunately not. We had problems before - big time. But i was hoping that marriage will change things and fix the cracks. Wrong, i know. Have to deal with the consuquences now.
Then, you will (apparently) need to wait it out through a separation. You're not in a hurry to get married to someone else, are you?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">