• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce, auto lease..self prepared

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ajbailey01

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My wife and I are about to go through a divorce. She is a native of Colombia and she just received her permanent visa. We are in agreement with all assets except an automobile lease that runs for another 4 years. My question is there a cost effective way to terminate the lease without ruining my credit. I’ve looked at the lease agreement but I question the penalties/fees. I was told to file bankruptcy on the automobile but I rather not go down that road. I am financially stable while she is not. We are trying to find the easiest/ cost savings way to divorce. In addition, since she is an immigrant, would securing a lawyer be in my best interest? I'm not sure how to approach this situation.What is the name of your state?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Whoever gets the car should assume responsibility of the lease and do it legally. Or be responsible for all penalties.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? Indiana

My wife and I are about to go through a divorce. She is a native of Colombia and she just received her permanent visa. We are in agreement with all assets except an automobile lease that runs for another 4 years. My question is there a cost effective way to terminate the lease without ruining my credit. I’ve looked at the lease agreement but I question the penalties/fees. I was told to file bankruptcy on the automobile but I rather not go down that road. I am financially stable while she is not. We are trying to find the easiest/ cost savings way to divorce. In addition, since she is an immigrant, would securing a lawyer be in my best interest? I'm not sure how to approach this situation.What is the name of your state?
What does her immigrant status have to do with anything? If there are children and you are afraid that she will move them to Colombia then that's a valid issue. If not, then its probably irrelevant.

You can't get out of the lease on the car without damaging/tanking your credit. Therefore you are going to have to get creative. Maybe you should be keeping the car with the lease, and she should be keeping the other vehicle?

ajbailey01

We have no children. I wasn't sure if immigration was an issue as I am trying to do this without a lawyer. We only have one car, as I have a company car. I don't want the car and she doesn't want it due to the fact that she cannot afford the payments by herself.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
We have no children. I wasn't sure if immigration was an issue as I am trying to do this without a lawyer. We only have one car, as I have a company car. I don't want the car and she doesn't want it due to the fact that she cannot afford the payments by herself.
Then you return it and pay the penalties, splitting it between the two of you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">