• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce and Bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cuni128

What is the name of your state? OR
I am going through a divorce and also filing bankruptcy at the same time. I have already received the divorce papers, got them on Friday, but have not sent them in yet, I will be doing so though. My spouse and I had a vehicle in both our names and I have gone ahead and given the vehicle back to him so that he could himself either sell or or continue making payments on it because that is what he asked of me if I decided to file BK. Now he is all pissed off because he is saying he will have to re-file the divorce papers. Not sure why, but I am wondering, is it so that he can try to get more child custody money out of me?? Can he file again even though I have not even sent in the original one yet which I received just a few days ago??? Please let me know what my options might be at this point and what I can or should do to make this process go easier and faster. Any advice will be GREATLY appreciated!! Thank you!!

annefan

Not sure why, but I am wondering, is it so that he can try to get more child custody money out of me??

*Ask him.

Can he file again even though I have not even sent in the original one yet which I received just a few days ago???

*What he may be referring to when he says "file again" means he will have to modify or change his complaint in divorce or the property settlement agreement. Especially if it was already specified that you retain the vehicle. Yes, he can do that.

On a side note, you said the vehicle is in both your names. If you meant the lein (or auto loan) is in both your names, any judgment regarding who will be responsible for it does not mean the lender cannot come after you in the event a default of the loan occurs.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">