• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce/bankruptcy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gettingoutnow

I am in Florida and have decided to divorce my husband of almost 10 years....my question is .....we will have to file bankruptcy also and I do not want to lose everything ! Should i do the Bankruptcy first ?? so there is no list of items split up in a divorce ?? My husband has led us to financial ruin and now we will both pay the price...and i want to make sure that I will not continue to pay for even longer for all his stupid mistakes. Please give me some information so I know what to do....I thought we together were going to go and start the Bankruptcy but he has avoided the issue and we have gotten our 30 day notice to pay what we are behind on with our mortgage company or that they will start foreclosure....I know that the bankruptcy is the only way out now...but i want to try to keep as much property as possible (like furniture, computer, etc) PLEASE HELP

D

dorenephilpot

I would do the divorce first, so that you have a clear picture of the debts and who is responsible for them.

THEN do the bankruptcy.

Now, once you're divorced, you'll have to file as individuals, but most people who aren't getting along do that anyway, at least in Indiana, even if they are legally married.

Some states require you to file jointly if you're still married, though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">