• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce and bigamy

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bnikkic

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
MI
I've been married since 1994. We split in 2004. I just found out my "husband" may have gotten married in 2007 in NV. The problem is we've never filed for divorce.

I want to know what are my rights and what will i be entitled to?
Will I automatically get everything I want?
How does this information affect visitation for my kids?
Will it help get visitation time cut for my kids?
Will he automatically be charged with bigamy? And if so, what's the usual charges and sentencing?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
MI
I've been married since 1994. We split in 2004. I just found out my "husband" may have gotten married in 2007 in NV. The problem is we've never filed for divorce.

I want to know what are my rights and what will i be entitled to?
Will I automatically get everything I want?
How does this information affect visitation for my kids?
Will it help get visitation time cut for my kids?
Will he automatically be charged with bigamy? And if so, what's the usual charges and sentencing?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Legally, your entitlement doesn't change. You're entitled to half of marital assets and half of marital debt. Child visitation will be assigned based on availability of the parties and the best interests of the children. Bigamy doesn't change any of that.

It does, however, put you in a better position when you try to negotiate a settlement.

He will not automatically be charged - there will only be charges if someone files a complaint.

bnikkic

Legally, your entitlement doesn't change. You're entitled to half of marital assets and half of marital debt. Child visitation will be assigned based on availability of the parties and the best interests of the children. Bigamy doesn't change any of that.

It does, however, put you in a better position when you try to negotiate a settlement.

He will not automatically be charged - there will only be charges if someone files a complaint.
how would i get started in filing a complaint? and how much would it cost to hire a lawyer to handle this or could i do it on my own?

bnikkic

I quote:

Them telling everyone they got married is far different than a registered marriage certificate when it comes time to prove your claims.
that's true. i hope this doesn't sound dumb but where could i start with little or no cost in tracking down the marriage records?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
in las vegas in june 2007. don't know the county. i'm in MI
Google is your friend...

A search for Las Vegas marriage records yielded the following:

http://redrock.co.clark.nv.us/RecSearch/MarriageSearchMain.aspx

ETA: The link I provided is the "official" site - not that you won't get the same info elsewhere...just might make more sense to go straight to the "source" ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">