• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce in CA or canada - out of country spouse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pat98

My wife and I have been seperated since August 2002,

She sold her half of the house when we initially purchase it, so the house and loan are under my name only....

I also received company option which at the time of the seperation were under water....

Now my wife is treatening to sue, am I at risk if I let the divorce process continue in California now that both the house and options did appreciate a lot if she is asking for 50%.... She was serve but did not response yet, I could cancel the filing before she response

Am I better off to wait for her to file in Quebec instead?

Prior to getting married, we signed a mariage contract "regime the seperation de biens"

seniorjudge

Pat98 said:
My wife and I have been seperated since August 2002,

She sold her half of the house when we initially purchase it, so the house and loan are under my name only....

I also received company option which at the time of the seperation were under water....

Now my wife is treatening to sue, am I at risk if I let the divorce process continue in California now that both the house and options did appreciate a lot if she is asking for 50%.... She was serve but did not response yet, I could cancel the filing before she response

Am I better off to wait for her to file in Quebec instead?

Prior to getting married, we signed a mariage contract "regime the seperation de biens"

US law only.

What does this mean? She wants to sue but you've already sued her?

Huh?

Your post is incomprehensible. Start all over and ask about US law onlyl.

Pat98

Clarification

Initially, she wanted to proceed with a divorce without any claims. So I started the process in CA.

Now that she shared that she change her mind and hired an expense law firm, I am concerned she will not be reasonable and I may have to go to trial if we can't agree to a settlement.

Question:
Am I expose in regards to the house and options by CA standard?
Can a CA judge give her half the house she already sold to me at initial purchase?
Is the proof of my wife living & working abroad and not paying any household expenses suffcicient to establish a seperation date in court?
Am I expose in term of having to pay a portion of my salary to her even if she has been working for 4 years as a teacher (teacher in Canada make about 1/3 of my salaries)?
If I cancel my petition, can my wife lliving in Canada file for divorce in CA to sue for my assets?

Thanks you

seniorjudge

Pat98 said:
Initially, she wanted to proceed with a divorce without any claims. So I started the process in CA.

Now that she shared that she change her mind and hired an expense law firm, I am concerned she will not be reasonable and I may have to go to trial if we can't agree to a settlement.

Question:
Am I expose in regards to the house and options by CA standard?
Can a CA judge give her half the house she already sold to me at initial purchase?
Is the proof of my wife living & working abroad and not paying any household expenses suffcicient to establish a seperation date in court?
Am I expose in term of having to pay a portion of my salary to her even if she has been working for 4 years as a teacher (teacher in Canada make about 1/3 of my salaries)?
If I cancel my petition, can my wife lliving in Canada file for divorce in CA to sue for my assets?

Thanks you

You sued her and she got a lawyer and is defending herself.

All the stuff about property settlement will be decided by the court.

Pat98

Can I terminate the original petition before my wife response?

I am trying to avoid a trial in CA until I know the rule for Alimony.... Whe does a judge allow for it... my wife has been working for 4 years now?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">