• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce Case Transfer?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JakeAbney

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA Law

I am curious about transfering an active divorce case from the state of california to the state of PA. I no longer live in california, and do not meet the residency requirements of the state I am currently residing in. My spouse however meets the requirments in the state of PA. I was wondering how one went about transfering a divorce case. My spouse has already been served and we have signed all the paperwork already. The only thing yet to be done is paying the last fee and sending the paperwork into the court in California, but the divorce could be finished much quicker in PA (90 days, V/s 180 days) and would prefer taking this route if possible. Any help or advice in this would be much appreciated. Thank you.

mistoffolees

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA Law

I am curious about transfering an active divorce case from the state of california to the state of PA. I no longer live in california, and do not meet the residency requirements of the state I am currently residing in. My spouse however meets the requirments in the state of PA. I was wondering how one went about transfering a divorce case. My spouse has already been served and we have signed all the paperwork already. The only thing yet to be done is paying the last fee and sending the paperwork into the court in California, but the divorce could be finished much quicker in PA (90 days, V/s 180 days) and would prefer taking this route if possible. Any help or advice in this would be much appreciated. Thank you.
I don't know for sure, but suspect that it would take a lot more than the 90 days you think you're going to save to get a hearing in CA to transfer the case and then start from scratch in PA (even assuming that the court is willing to do so).

You're probably better off leaving things as they are.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I don't know for sure, but suspect that it would take a lot more than the 90 days you think you're going to save to get a hearing in CA to transfer the case and then start from scratch in PA (even assuming that the court is willing to do so).

You're probably better off leaving things as they are.
Well they could dismiss and start again from scratch. However in starting again, you need to file all new paperwork and jump through all the same hoops all over again. Which takes time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">