• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce and child custody in Florida

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

serroto

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My wife has recently been baker acted by the police. She attempted to hurt herself with a butcher knife after i told her that "i personally did not want her in our home" She was in a mental health unit for 5 days. After she did not return to my home but to be with her parents. She wants to see our child but i do not feel comfortable leaving our child with her because of her behavior. How am i suppose to go about with the divorce and also getting her to have supervised visits with our child. Please suggest me to solve the issue.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My wife has recently been baker acted by the police. She attempted to hurt herself with a butcher knife after i told her that "i personally did not want her in our home" She was in a mental health unit for 5 days. After she did not return to my home but to be with her parents. She wants to see our child but i do not feel comfortable leaving our child with her because of her behavior. How am i suppose to go about with the divorce and also getting her to have supervised visits with our child. Please suggest me to solve the issue.
File for divorce and request supervised visitation for mom. Do not let mom see your child unless under your supervision at the marital home.

LCMoon

You could also file for an emergency custody type hearing. You don't have to be going through a divorce or file for a divorce to file for protective custody orders against other parents or spouse. It is for dire situations of abuse and life and death circumstances. You could do a quick lookup on the circuit court website of your area to find some court approved Motions to initiate protective orders for the in the meantime while you get your paperwork together for a complete divorce. The complete divorce will take a lot of time and effort with children and property so getting that protective order in place first will be ideal. Especially as soon as possible as it will also show your capability as a responsible parent in your divorce as well as speak to your ability to be able to hold majority custody if not all.

LdiJ

File for divorce and request supervised visitation for mom. Do not let mom see your child unless under your supervision at the marital home.
Expect however, that the court will view her parents as being acceptable supervisors. I also think that public places can be a good place for supervised visitation to happen if you are going to be the supervisor.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Of course, until a court rules otherwise, Mom has every right to return to the marital home.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Expect however, that the court will view her parents as being acceptable supervisors. I also think that public places can be a good place for supervised visitation to happen if you are going to be the supervisor.
I was saying that until he gets orders -- even temporary ones.

LdiJ

I was saying that until he gets orders -- even temporary ones.
I know you were, but I thought he should know that grandparents are often made the supervisors. I also think, that for his safety that a public place might be a better place for supervised visits.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">