• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce/Child Support/Alimony Question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

amberxo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Iowa

This is not a pressing issue, just something I am more curious about!

I work in staffing, and I had a client tell me an interesting story that made no sense to me. He said that his uncle got divorced, and not only does he pay alimony and child support, but he literally has to pay EVERYTHING. So if she wants to buy clothes? He pays for them. Vacation? On him. He's paying her mortgage, car payments, etc. And it was ordered by a judge. He said that he fought it twice, and his lawyer couldn't even explain the decision to him. She was a homemaker, and from what I understand that is where the alimony part comes in...but as far as her not having to work and him footing the bill for her? Makes no sense. She is the one that filed for the divorce also. The client stated that her dad was a judge and thought that he was bribing people for his daughter...I would hope our justice system isn't that backwards! And in that case, wouldn't the case have to be heard in a different jurisdiction? Something doesn't make sense to me and I was more so wondering if there was some type of provision or something that I am misunderstanding.

Thanks!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I work in staffing, and I had a client tell me an interesting story that made no sense to me. He said that his uncle got divorced, and not only does he pay alimony and child support, but he literally has to pay EVERYTHING. So if she wants to buy clothes? He pays for them. Vacation? On him. He's paying her mortgage, car payments, etc. And it was ordered by a judge. He said that he fought it twice, and his lawyer couldn't even explain the decision to him. She was a homemaker, and from what I understand that is where the alimony part comes in...but as far as her not having to work and him footing the bill for her? Makes no sense. She is the one that filed for the divorce also. The client stated that her dad was a judge and thought that he was bribing people for his daughter...I would hope our justice system isn't that backwards! And in that case, wouldn't the case have to be heard in a different jurisdiction? Something doesn't make sense to me and I was more so wondering if there was some type of provision or something that I am misunderstanding.

Thanks!
We don't do hypotheticals here.

LdiJ

Thanks!
Somebody is making up stories...seriously.

amberxo

That's what I thought too! I just thought MAYBE I was missing SOMETHING! It made no sense to me...glad to know I'm not crazy for thinking they were lying :)

Bali Hai

That's what I thought too! I just thought MAYBE I was missing SOMETHING! It made no sense to me...glad to know I'm not crazy for thinking they were lying :)
A man was released from prison in 2009 after spending 14 years in prison for contempt of court. The judge said he could get out of prison if he produced money that he didn't have. The court hired experts to find the money that the court imagined he had. The money has never been found to this day. The family court system in this country is as corrupt as any on the planet. Don't be so quick to discount this account. Most of it is probably correct.

LdiJ

A man was released from prison in 2009 after spending 14 years in prison for contempt of court. The judge said he could get out of prison if he produced money that he didn't have. The court hired experts to find the money that the court imagined he had. The money has never been found to this day. The family court system in this country is as corrupt as any on the planet. Don't be so quick to discount this account. Most of it is probably correct.
Bali, that is BS and you know it. The case you are talking about is far more complex than you indicate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">