• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce...contempt motion

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ksirichanvimol

Massachusetts

I've recently entered into a divorce agreement with my ex-wife. Some of the agreed upon items was that I make best efforts to refinance mutually owned property or provide documentation as do why I haven't been able to refinance. Other items include showing on time payments on a monthly basis and make a one time monetary settlement to her. I've haven't always provided the monthly proof and haven't always been able to make on time payments but given my financial situation I've done the best I could to keep up with the property payments. I haven't sent the payment statements until recently but did finally with proof that the payments while not always on time, is current up to this date. I haven't been able to get the refinance denial notices from the bank until now but at this point I've already been served to appear in court. How likely would judge be to listening and taking into account my financial difficulties/situation, and that while I haven't provided payment documentation, I have at least attempted to provide documentation on a regular basis in the last couple of months? What is the worse that can happen? Also give my present financial situation getting an attorney to represent me is unlikely, how detrimental is this and what do stand to loose by not having an attorney?

Thank-you for any advice you may be able to provide.

Last edited:

nextwife

Don't be surprised, as you have NEITHER paid the mortgage in a timely manner, nor refinanced her off the debt, if the house is ordered SOLD. Your ex's credit is impacted by both the existance of the debt obligation carrying her name, and your "late pays".

LdiJ

ksirichanvimol said:
what if it's already up for sale and just hasn't recieved any offers?
Then perhaps its not priced "to sell". Be prepared to demonstrate that the property has been offered at fair market value and that efforts are being diligently made to effect a sale.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">