• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce/custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

reganspop

What is the name of your state? Ohio

My case is this, I wish to get a divorce from my wife as she is terribly difficult and what I believe to be an alcoholic. I have expressed to her to leave and that I want a divorce but it goes in one ear and out the other. The home we rent is owned by my family who don't like her therefore I can't leave myself. The next issue is that we have a 3 year old daughter who my wife keeps threatening to keep from me if we get divorced. I would like custody myself as I have a better support system around me for child care etc. what should I do and what are my chances of getting custody?

H

hexeliebe

Unfortunately, the chances of you gaining full custody is rather slim unless you can prove the mother unfit or a danger to your daughter.

As for the home, is it in your name or another family member's? That will be key to what happens to it during the divorce proceedings.

As for leaving, no one really has to leave. Just file for divorce and custody and let the cards play out.

R

reganspop

I certainly DON'T wish to keep the child from her mother however I do feel that as far as a stable enviroment it would be in my daughters best interest to remain with me. Is it really that difficult to gain custody if you are a man?

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I wouldn't lose hope for custody all that easily. While the mother gets custody more frequently, a lot of that is because the father doesn't fight for it. When fathers actively pursue custody, they're often quite successful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">