• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce/custody

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GrooveyMom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My husband is from Brasil and things are not going well, divorce may be in our future, we have a 2 year old child and I need to know if he takes her to Brasil without my permission, what are my rights?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My husband is from Brasil and things are not going well, divorce may be in our future, we have a 2 year old child and I need to know if he takes her to Brasil without my permission, what are my rights?

Does the child already have a passport?

Go here: Children's Passport Issuance Alert Program and you can put an alert on any new passport being issued/reissued. Bear in mind the state will NOT revoke a passport that has already been issued.

Brazil is a Hague Convention signatory but does not have the best record in honoring/enforcing foreign custody orders.

Honestly? Though you both have equal rights to your child, you'd probably be best advised to file for divorce before he does, and as part of the process request temporary custody until the divorce is finalized.

Has there actually been a threat of Dad absconding with kiddo?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">