• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce, death & IRA beneficiary

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thegills

What is the name of your state? CA

My Uncle passed away one week before his divorce was final, although they had completed a marriage settlement agreement. He received from the divorce $100,000 and a $300,000 pension. She got everything else.

My siblings and I were his only "kids" and he had told us that we were beneficiaries on his pension; however he was ill (more than we knew) and never completed the paperwork. His "wife" was left as beneficiary. His pension is a Traditional IRA naming her as primary benificiary.

He REALLY made it clear that he didn't want the "her" to have the pension.

I do not know that we are named as contingent beneficiaries. My mom is next-of-kin and would ensure that his wishes were met.

any information would be of help.

LdiJ

thegills said:
What is the name of your state? CA

My Uncle passed away one week before his divorce was final, although they had completed a marriage settlement agreement. He received from the divorce $100,000 and a $300,000 pension. She got everything else.

My siblings and I were his only "kids" and he had told us that we were beneficiaries on his pension; however he was ill (more than we knew) and never completed the paperwork. His "wife" was left as beneficiary. His pension is a Traditional IRA naming her as primary benificiary.

He REALLY made it clear that he didn't want the "her" to have the pension.

I do not know that we are named as contingent beneficiaries. My mom is next-of-kin and would ensure that his wishes were met.

any information would be of help.
You need an attorney...technically his wife could be entitled to the money...only an attorney is going to be able to have any chance of salvaging anything for you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">