• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce and debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jbarte

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

My spouse and I are going to get divorced. Will I be responsible for his personal debt?
Will I be responsible for his business debt? His business is less than 10years old and it is in his name as are all the business loans and CCs.
Thank you

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

My spouse and I are going to get divorced. Will I be responsible for his personal debt?
Will I be responsible for his business debt? His business is less than 10years old and it is in his name as are all the business loans and CCs.
Thank you
Possibly. This is not a case that you want to attempt to handle without a good attorney. Much depends on how his business is structured, and the nature of the business. The creditors will not hold you responsible if your name isn't on any of the debt, but the divorce court may.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">