• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

divorce decree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

smokin78

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

If a social security number is wrong on a divorce decree would that be grounds to dimiss it and re-do the divorce decree.

And my other question is when we did our divorce we had 2 homes, in the decree it states that I will be financially responsible for home A and she will be finacially responsible for home B. She is now looking to sell the house and is having a hard time because I am still on the home and am the primary name. Would this give me grounds to make a deal upon the sale of the house or will she be able to get around it without my help. See we agreed to split the contents - but I got nothing so am wondering if I can be compansated for this if I agree to help her with the sale of the house!

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY

If a social security number is wrong on a divorce decree would that be grounds to dimiss it and re-do the divorce decree.

And my other question is when we did our divorce we had 2 homes, in the decree it states that I will be financially responsible for home A and she will be finacially responsible for home B. She is now looking to sell the house and is having a hard time because I am still on the home and am the primary name. Would this give me grounds to make a deal upon the sale of the house or will she be able to get around it without my help. See we agreed to split the contents - but I got nothing so am wondering if I can be compansated for this if I agree to help her with the sale of the house!
You will be in contempt of court if you do not cooperate with the sale of the house. She can easily take it back to court and get the judge to order you to cooperate, and you could also be fined and ordered to pay her attorney fees.

A typo on a divorce decree does not invalidate the decree.

If she isn't holding up her end of the decree, then you take her to court for contempt.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">