• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce Decree

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mamag1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I was married to a very rich man and a prominent family, my divorce decree which happened 20 years ago stated stipulations which I was to be granted by law. To this day I still have not received what was stated in the divorce, am I still entitled to what was granted to me? Re: Child Life Insurance Policy, and all medical bills (which I paid for myself). Hope you can help with my questions, thank youWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Perky

I was married to a very rich man and a prominent family, my divorce decree which happened 20 years ago stated stipulations which I was to be granted by law. To this day I still have not received what was stated in the divorce, am I still entitled to what was granted to me? Re: Child Life Insurance Policy, and all medical bills (which I paid for myself). Hope you can help with my questions, thank youWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
In the last 20 years, have you attempted to have the judgment enforced?

mistoffolees

If the divorce happened 20 years ago, any children are now grown, so he would no longer have any obligations to them unless part of property settlement was involved (but it would not go to the children). If he was required to have life insurance on himself to pay child support in case he died, it is now irrelevant.

What specifically does the decree say he was supposed to do and what did he actually do instead?

And why the heck did you wait 20 years to try to collect medical expenses?

mamag1

i never attempted to have the judgement enforced...and his mother paid child support to keep him out of jail...he never did anything, in regards to seeing his child or do anything that the decree said...decree stated my son had a life insurance policy that he had the option to cash out when he was 25...they never released policy # and basically they lied...HE was supposed to also cover medical which he never did, in the meantime he blew his trust fund over 1.7million dollars, gambling and doing drugs...He never saw his son from 10 years old to 25, and still lives off his mother....I know its a very long time ago but I really wanted to see if I had any chance of coming after him...

mistoffolees

i never attempted to have the judgement enforced...and his mother paid child support to keep him out of jail...he never did anything, in regards to seeing his child or do anything that the decree said...decree stated my son had a life insurance policy that he had the option to cash out when he was 25...they never released policy # and basically they lied...HE was supposed to also cover medical which he never did, in the meantime he blew his trust fund over 1.7million dollars, gambling and doing drugs...He never saw his son from 10 years old to 25, and still lives off his mother....I know its a very long time ago but I really wanted to see if I had any chance of coming after him...
If his mother paid child support, that's the same as him paying it, so there's nothing to collect there.

Unless the decree gave you some rights to the trust fund, you might as well forget it. He's allowed to do whatever he wants with his inheritances.

You're going to have to be specific. Exactly what does the decree say about the life insurance policy? What exactly does it say about medical?

nextwife

. . . he never did, in the meantime he blew his trust fund over 1.7million dollars, gambling and doing drugs... and still lives off his mother....
So does he have even have any assets (of his own) to go after, or any garnish able income?

mamag1

In the decree it states, "In accordance with the provisions of Paragraph FIFTH of the Stipulation, defendent was required to provide for the infant child of the parties, medical and health insurance and to pay hospital, medical, dental, surgical, drug and medical bills on behalf of the child not covered by insurance".

Also states, "Defendant has failed to and refused to pay medical bills submitted to him for said child".

Also states at the time, "Through gift, inheritance and otherwise, defendant became beneficial owner of shares in said Company which are presently worth, upon information, approximately One Million Five Hundred Dollars".

Also states, "Because of defendants long history of alcohol and drug abuse, which has caused him to be hospitalized on at least five occasions, the shares were held in trust with defendant as the income beneficiary so that he would receive only the income therefrom and could not sell, transfer, assign, or encumber the same.

Also states, "Defendant mother states defendant could not and would not ever to be permitted to receive the shares of which he is the beneficial owner because of his consistant alcohol and drug abuse and that said shares would ultimately go to the infant child of the parties".

After all of this, his mother allowed him access to that 1.5million, going against what was said in the decree. All the while he had just been arrested on a felony drug charge, that is also stated in decree.

He still lives in a house, and is given money every quarter, and hasnt worked in over 25 years, his mother takes care of him.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
In the decree it states, "In accordance with the provisions of Paragraph FIFTH of the Stipulation, defendent was required to provide for the infant child of the parties, medical and health insurance and to pay hospital, medical, dental, surgical, drug and medical bills on behalf of the child not covered by insurance".

Also states, "Defendant has failed to and refused to pay medical bills submitted to him for said child".

Also states at the time, "Through gift, inheritance and otherwise, defendant became beneficial owner of shares in said Company which are presently worth, upon information, approximately One Million Five Hundred Dollars".

Also states, "Because of defendants long history of alcohol and drug abuse, which has caused him to be hospitalized on at least five occasions, the shares were held in trust with defendant as the income beneficiary so that he would receive only the income therefrom and could not sell, transfer, assign, or encumber the same.

Also states, "Defendant mother states defendant could not and would not ever to be permitted to receive the shares of which he is the beneficial owner because of his consistant alcohol and drug abuse and that said shares would ultimately go to the infant child of the parties".

After all of this, his mother allowed him access to that 1.5million, going against what was said in the decree. All the while he had just been arrested on a felony drug charge, that is also stated in decree.

He still lives in a house, and is given money every quarter, and hasnt worked in over 25 years, his mother takes care of him.
ANd? You did nothing regarding the lack of insurance when the child was a CHILD. And now 25 years later things change. His mother is NOT restrained by YOUR divorce decree. It doesn't order her never to allow him money -- the court doesn't have jurisdiction to do that. What it says is that the defendant's mother stated she wasn't going to allow that and shares would ultimately go to the infant child. Well things change.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">