• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce Decree ?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tinabl

I live in Nevada and have been going through a divorce for over a
year now. My soon to be ex filed for divorce in 2000. He moved to CA. over a year ago also. We are not contesting anything except for custody / visitation rights. The 2 kids are in my physical custody. He obtained a lawyer a year ago, but due to my financial hardship (also not getting any child support from him) I have been unable to obtain councel myself. I know my ex is dragging this out as long as possible because he doesn't want me; however, doesn't want anyone else to have me! I want to get the divorce finalized, but they say it may take months before we can get a court date on the custody/visitations. Is it possible to get the divorce, before we finalize all the details (bifurication)?? I want to get the divorce and get on with a SINGLE life!! I've tried looking up my State Statue laws and cannot find anything that pretains to what I'm looking for.
PLEASE ADVISE...

J

JasonRT

Dear Tinabel,

Your only option it seems would be to contact his attorney and try to negotiate a settlement. They know that they can drag this out and the longer it goes on the stronger their position becomes.

Because you probably don't want to negotiate the custody of your children, you're probably quite stuck.

Good luck,

[email protected]

T

Tinabl

??

Why would it make his position stronger by dragging this out?
I knew there was a reason why he was stringing this along, but I couldn't put my finger on it, and still can't! I would think it would make him look more like a jerk and irresponsible. He is asking for all these rights towards the kids, yet he hasn't paid a dime of child support, he has NEVER seen his 9 month old baby, and has not seen his 4 year old in a year. His attorney is a complete jerk; he happens to be a family friend of my ex's. There is nothing I can do? Hypothetically speaking; let's say I wanted to get married to someone else, do I have to wait another year? It's just very frustrating because he is the one whom left, yet he is still in control! Thank you so much for your advice!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">