• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce decree amendment for deceased Father and his disbarred divorce Attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pnaede

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas Law

Attempting to sell boat motor in Texas on behalf of late Father's widow. Tx Parks and Wildlife requiring motor serial be amended to divorce decree (Between father and his ex-wife previous to current widow), in order to gain clear title to motor.

Original decree stats serial of boat, listing it as boat motor vehicle (which title has already been cleared and updated to widow). TxP&W will not budge on their requirement.

The attorney he used for the divorce is disbarred in Texas and no longer practices.

Thanks in advance for any additional info or further options.

pnaede

I'd say the ex-wife/wives need to handle stuff.
That's not an option, nor is the ex-wife motivated to file a motion to amend / appeal. Her Attorney advised me to contact my late Father's attorney to pursue a motion. As I stated above, his Attorney from the divorce has been disbarred. He was a solo practice, so no one else is available from his shuttered firm.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
That's not an option, nor is the ex-wife motivated to file a motion to amend / appeal. Her Attorney advised me to contact my late Father's attorney to pursue a motion. As I stated above, his Attorney from the divorce has been disbarred. He was a solo practice, so no one else is available from his shuttered firm.
If she doesn't want to do anything about it, then it looks like you're not going to be selling it.

LdiJ

If she doesn't want to do anything about it, then it looks like you're not going to be selling it.
You do realize that the ex-wife that will not cooperate is not the widow that he is helping to sell the boat?

Dad's estate should take the ex-wife to court for contempt since dad was awarded the boat in the divorce decree. However, that should only be done if the boat is worth enough money to make that a viable action. Any attorney can do that. It does not have to be the attorney who originally handled the divorce.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">