• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce Decree Limitations on Property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

star

What is the name of your state? Oregon

the divorce decree say's that I have to sell the house when
my son's turn 18 years old. that was back in 1983.

1- what are the statute of limitations if my ex wants to
pursue the house ?

2- Can he do anything if at all 24 years later ?

Bali Hai

You are in contempt of court big time!!

pursue the house ?

When he is dead.

Is he in a wheelchair? If not he can still come after his share of the property.

star

Divorcee Decree

I tried to sell the house back then, but it didn't sell and he did not pursue it.
He has not tried to do anything for 24 years.

nextwife

How is title held? Exactly? (leave out real names).

And if you owed him, say, half when you sold, you will STILL owe him half when it sells. IT really depends on the language in the decree. If he OWNS half, he will still own half.

Last edited:

LdiJ

pursue the house ?

Ok...which scenario is it?

Were you awarded the house but were to sell it when your child turned 18 in order to get him off the mortgage? If so, then most likely its irrelevant at this point, because hopefully you have paid off the mortgage by now....or will very soon. However, in this scenario if you never received nor recorded a quit claim deed, then he may still legally be 1/2 owner of the house.

Or, did the two of you continue to own the home together, and you were to sell it when the child turned 18, in order to give him his share of the equity? If so, again, he is still 1/2 owner of the house, and will still receive 1/2 of the equity whenever it eventually is sold.

star

Divorce Decree

We owned the home together and the judge ordered the house to be sold
for his half ,even though he ran all the bills up and almost lost us the house.

My real question should be:
Does the statute of limitations cancel out the divorce Decree because of the length
of time involved ?

Ok...which scenario is it?

Were you awarded the house but were to sell it when your child turned 18 in order to get him off the mortgage? If so, then most likely its irrelevant at this point, because hopefully you have paid off the mortgage by now....or will very soon. However, in this scenario if you never received nor recorded a quit claim deed, then he may still legally be 1/2 owner of the house.

Or, did the two of you continue to own the home together, and you were to sell it when the child turned 18, in order to give him his share of the equity? If so, again, he is still 1/2 owner of the house, and will still receive 1/2 of the equity whenever it eventually is sold.

ceara19

We owned the home together and the judge ordered the house to be sold
for his half ,even though he ran all the bills up and almost lost us the house.

My real question should be:
Does the statute of limitations cancel out the divorce Decree because of the length
of time involved ?
If a divorce decree is "canceled" you would go back to being married to the person.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">