• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce Decree, statute of limitations

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Polar1996

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
Is there a statute of limitations for filing a junction against a ex spouse who has not followed thru with what was ordered to be done in the divorce decree in NY state?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NY
Is there a statute of limitations for filing a junction against a ex spouse who has not followed thru with what was ordered to be done in the divorce decree in NY state?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

It would really help if you could give us an idea of the situation.

When was the decree ordered?

What was ordered?

What hasn't been done?

What do you wish to accomplish?

Polar1996

In the decree my ex was ordered to pay me maintenance of $600 for 4 years, it states that he is supposed to pay my car payment and then when the car is paid off he has to pay it to me directly. The decree was signed by us in October of 2009 and ordered in January of 2010. In March of this year, 2011, my car was repo'd due to lack of payment on his part. Come to find out he hadn't made a payment on it since July of 2009.

My question is can I go after him for the amount that he owed on my car since that was my maintenance and how long do I have to do this?

Polar1996

No I did not make any payments because he was ordered to pay them. Wording is that he makes maintenance payments of $600 a month, he pays it directly to bank for car payment until it is paid off, then he makes payments directly to me

Proserpina

No I did not make any payments because he was ordered to pay them. Wording is that he makes maintenance payments of $600 a month, he pays it directly to bank for car payment until it is paid off, then he makes payments directly to me

We really need the EXACT wording. Minus names.

Please understand though that the car company was not a party to your divorce decree, and had every right to repossess. They don't care who pays.

Were you keeping track?

nextwife

You did have use of the these past few years. I'm curious why, if you needed spousal support, you'd want a $600/mo car?

Are you in touch with the ex? Do you know if he's alive and well?

Polar1996

We really need the EXACT wording. Minus names.

Please understand though that the car company was not a party to your divorce decree, and had every right to repossess. They don't care who pays.

Were you keeping track?

Ok the exact wording, dated and signed 10/14/09

Husband will pay maintenance to wife in the amount of $600 per month for a term of four years. The first payment will be made within seven days of the date of this agreement, So long as there is any unpaid balance on the auto loan to (bank name), husband's maintenance payments shall be paid directly to (bank name). When the auto loan is paid off, then husband's maintenance payments shall be paid directly to wife. Husband's obligation to pay maintenance to wife shall cease upon the death of wither party or upon wife's remarriage. Husband will provide wife with copies of monthly statements for the auto loan until loan is paid off. Statements to be provided within ten days of receipt.

I was never sent any monthly statements. And like I said come to find out he had not made a payment on the loan since July of 2009, before we even signed.

Polar1996

You did have use of the these past few years. I'm curious why, if you needed spousal support, you'd want a $600/mo car?

Are you in touch with the ex? Do you know if he's alive and well?
Yes my ex is alive and well and once in a great while we do "talk" rather text.

mistoffolees

Ok the exact wording, dated and signed 10/14/09

Husband will pay maintenance to wife in the amount of $600 per month for a term of four years. The first payment will be made within seven days of the date of this agreement, So long as there is any unpaid balance on the auto loan to (bank name), husband's maintenance payments shall be paid directly to (bank name). When the auto loan is paid off, then husband's maintenance payments shall be paid directly to wife. Husband's obligation to pay maintenance to wife shall cease upon the death of wither party or upon wife's remarriage. Husband will provide wife with copies of monthly statements for the auto loan until loan is paid off. Statements to be provided within ten days of receipt.

I was never sent any monthly statements. And like I said come to find out he had not made a payment on the loan since July of 2009, before we even signed.
Then you can file for contempt.

Although it amazes me that you waited this long to do anything.

Bali Hai

In the decree my ex was ordered to pay me maintenance of $600 for 4 years, it states that he is supposed to pay my car payment and then when the car is paid off he has to pay it to me directly. The decree was signed by us in October of 2009 and ordered in January of 2010. In March of this year, 2011, my car was repo'd due to lack of payment on his part. Come to find out he hadn't made a payment on it since July of 2009.

My question is can I go after him for the amount that he owed on my car since that was my maintenance and how long do I have to do this?
Your ex was not legally required to pay the car payments in July, August and September 2009.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">