• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce by Default? Bifrufication? (sp)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

ariesflame

I live in Minnesota, and have done so since November of 1998.

I left my husband in November of 1998. We are currently still not divorced. I was wondering if there is a possibility that we could already be divorced seeing as how we both have children from different relationships (after I left). We have one child together, he has one child from another relationship following our split and I now have two. As you can tell, we have both moved on with our lives. Because of the divorce issue (which is only an issue due to money problems on both sides) there are a few snags. I would like to remarry again, and was wondering if there was a very quick way to get divorced at a fairly low cost. I really don't want to deal with going thru the separation process because we have been separated for so long. Any advice would be helpful as my husband and I are amicably split. We both want the divorce, however because we have one child together I have the feeling that there will be complications. I would like custody of her, however I am willing to give that up for now. She now lives with her Dad and I am satisfied with that for now. I don't want a custody battle, just the divorce. Thanks ahead of time.

V

velbing

divorce by default

You should be able to do a joint petition for divorce pro se. All it should cost you is the filing fees. If you and your stbx are truly in agreement on all counts, it can be done. However, I would not be quick to give up custody. It is a lot harder to get a child back later and more costly too. But you will still have to wait 6 months after the divorce is final to remarry.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">