• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce from a different State?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

User:Name

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

I live in Ohio. We were married in Ohio. 3 1/2 years ago my husband packed a small car and moved to California. He left most of his personal property here and gave my sons several items. A few months ago he filed for divorce in California. He asked for several things such as his yearbooks, a toy box, and some other things. I signed the papers. I have had those things put aside anyway. He had always said he would come back for them, so I've been storing them all these years. Anyway, papers are signed, and says the divorce will be final 6 months from the day we signed them, which will be mid May. Last night he sent me a message demanding that I pack these things up, take them to the post office and send them to him. Honestly, I would love to just pack all his stuff up and get it out of here and have it over with, but I have 2 small children with special needs and I can't imagine how I would get all these items in to the post office while holding on to both my little guys and the thought of waiting in line with these 2 almost brings me to tears. I know that probably sounds dramatic, but going somewhere new and changing routines is no small thing in this house. Anyway, am I obligated to get his things to him in California or is it his responsibility to come and get these things. It doesn't say anything about it in the divorce papers. There is a line where he wrote what he wanted and I didn't dispute it. How long do I have to store these things if he doesn't come for them? It hasn't been a big deal to store them, but I'm looking for a new house this summer and don't want to move his things with me.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH

I live in Ohio. We were married in Ohio. 3 1/2 years ago my husband packed a small car and moved to California. He left most of his personal property here and gave my sons several items. A few months ago he filed for divorce in California. He asked for several things such as his yearbooks, a toy box, and some other things. I signed the papers. I have had those things put aside anyway. He had always said he would come back for them, so I've been storing them all these years. Anyway, papers are signed, and says the divorce will be final 6 months from the day we signed them, which will be mid May. Last night he sent me a message demanding that I pack these things up, take them to the post office and send them to him. Honestly, I would love to just pack all his stuff up and get it out of here and have it over with, but I have 2 small children with special needs and I can't imagine how I would get all these items in to the post office while holding on to both my little guys and the thought of waiting in line with these 2 almost brings me to tears. I know that probably sounds dramatic, but going somewhere new and changing routines is no small thing in this house. Anyway, am I obligated to get his things to him in California or is it his responsibility to come and get these things. It doesn't say anything about it in the divorce papers. There is a line where he wrote what he wanted and I didn't dispute it. How long do I have to store these things if he doesn't come for them? It hasn't been a big deal to store them, but I'm looking for a new house this summer and don't want to move his things with me.

You have no obligation to ship the items for him. Let him make his own arrangements.

Thank you. How long do I have to store his stuff if he doesn't come for it? He left 3 1/3 years ago but divorce won't be final until May.

LdiJ

Thank you. How long do I have to store his stuff if he doesn't come for it? He left 3 1/3 years ago but divorce won't be final until May.
Personally, I would store it indefinitely unless its bulky enough to be seriously in the way.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
And me...I'd find a way to ship it so that it's not a thorn in my side...

Here's some information regarding abandoned property in Ohio.

http://www.bizfilings.com/toolkit/sbg/finance/basic-accounting/unclaimed-property/ohio-unclaimed-property-rules.aspx

OHRoadwarrior

I would charge him a packing fee to ready it for pickup and once you receive it, prepare the items and let him setup pickup.

I can't find a flat rate box big enough. One of the items he wants is a large toy box and he also has about 10 heavy yearbooks. I really don't have the extra cash to send it. I would love to send it and be done with it. I'm just having trouble figuring out how. Meanwhile he is threatening to sue me and have my wages garnished if he has to come back to Ohio from California to get his things that he left behind. He says I will have to pay for all his travel expenses and everything. Thanks for all the ideas! Maybe he can get a label printed with postage paid or something. I will look into it.

LdiJ

I can't find a flat rate box big enough. One of the items he wants is a large toy box and he also has about 10 heavy yearbooks. I really don't have the extra cash to send it. I would love to send it and be done with it. I'm just having trouble figuring out how. Meanwhile he is threatening to sue me and have my wages garnished if he has to come back to Ohio from California to get his things that he left behind. He says I will have to pay for all his travel expenses and everything. Thanks for all the ideas! Maybe he can get a label printed with postage paid or something. I will look into it.
He is totally and completely full of it. You have no obligation whatsoever to bear the cost of his retrieving his property. No court is going to make you pay for anything at all. He is bullying you and you can very safely ignore him.

Now, you can pack up his stuff and put an address label on it/them, and then tell him to make his own arrangements for pickup.

Bali Hai

10 heavy yearbooks? Sounds like the school tax payers got ripped off in that district.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">