• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Divorce by dissertation??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MsSecret

What is the name of your state? MS

MY husband left in March 2005. I have not heard from him since. We have no children, no loans, no property, no cars in our name or anything in our name together.

I was wondering if I could get a divorce by dissertation. If not, what grounds, if any, would I have to get a divorce?

Thank you

ceara19

What is the name of your state? MS

MY husband left in March 2005. I have not heard from him since. We have no children, no loans, no property, no cars in our name or anything in our name together.

I was wondering if I could get a divorce by dissertation. If not, what grounds, if any, would I have to get a divorce?

Thank you
I believe you mean DESERTION (abandonment), not DISSERTATION (a written essay, treatise or thesis, commonly one written by a candidate for the degree of Doctor of Philosophy). The following is a list of grounds for divorce in Mississippi:

No-Fault:

(1) Irreconcilable Differences

Fault:

(1) Impotence

(2) Adultery

(3) Incarceration

(4) Alcohol or drugs abuse

(5) Insanity for up to three years

(6) Wife being pregnant by another without spouse knowing it

(7) Willful desertion for at least one year

(8) Cruel and inhuman treatment

(9) Spouse lacking mental capacity to consent to divorce

(10) incest

Since there are no assets and no children, I'd go with #1, no fault irreconcilable differences. It's easy, simple, straight to the point and there is nothing to prove or contest.

MsSecret

Yes, I do mean desertion. Thank you very much.

Do you know if I would have to go to the town we lived in at the time he left or could I get a divorce in any town in MS?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">